Two La Crosse area budget listening sessions are coming soon. Please attend abd talk about public transportation.
On Thursday, March 28, a session hosted by Rep Steve Doyle and State Senators Jennifer Shilling and Jeff Smith will be at the Holmen Public Library at 5:30 pm and on Thursday, April 4, Sen Shilling and Rep Jill Billings will hold a session at the Northside Policing Center starting at 5:30 pm.
Wisconsin Transit Riders Alliance has provided this summary of transit related items in Governor Evers' proposed budget:
- $22 million increase in funding for transit (Sierra Club asked for $36 million)
- $10 million for transit capital assistance program
- "Levy limit exclusion," which could accomplish the same thing an RTA could: "The Governor also recommends creating a new levy limit exclusion for new or expanded transit services if those services cross municipal or county boundaries. This exclusion may not be used for any existing services and any amounts claimed must be subject to an intergovernmental cooperation agreement and be approved via referendum by each political subdivision party to the agreement." (Budget in Brief, page 87)
- $6 million increase in funding for specialized transit (WTRA supported the Disability Rights Coalition ask of $2.8 million ($1.4 million = 10% increase per year)
- 10% increase to Tribal Elderly Transportation Grants and Paratransit Aid
And VW SETTLEMENT: Half the funding goes toward charging stations and half toward electric buses